For the crust
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon granulated Splenda
- 6 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 cup cream cheese softened
- 1 cup chilled sugar free sweetened condensed milk (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 cup heavy cream
Homemade Sugar Free Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated Splenda
With just a few substitutions you can make a decadent and delicious key lime pie that is very low carb friendly.
First make sugar free sweetened condensed milk.
In a heavy sauce pan whisk together all ingredients. place on medium high heat and continue to whisk until it comes to a boil. Reduce to heat and let simmer for 1/2 hour. Transfer to heat resistant bowl and chill. it will thicken more in refrigerator.
To make the crust combine pecans, sweetener and melted butter. Spray a 9” springform pan with non stick spray. Press nut mixture into pan to form bottom crust. Set in the freezer while you make the filling.
In a stand mixer, beat together all filling ingredients except cream . Beat on high speed until smooth. Add cream and continue to beat until thick and fluffy.
Spoon the filling onto crust and spread evenly. Sprinkle the top with a little more lime zest. Chill completely.
Cut into 8 slices. Each slice will contain 5 grams of carbs, 1 gram of fiber and 0 sugar grams.
- I made the condensed milk and refrigerated over night before using.
- The pie can set up in the refrigerator or freezer. If frozen, it takes one a creamy ice cream quality.
- Add a drop of green food coloring to make it more key lime presentable.