This cornbread went great with chili. It’s simple and quick to make.
Here’s what you’ll need.
- 2 cups self-rising stoneground cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 small can diced mild green chili
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
Using a large mixing bowl and wire whisk (I used a Danish whisk), beat together corn meal, eggs and milk. Fold in 1/4 cup cheese and 4 tablespoons chili including liquid.
Place bacon drippings in a round baking pan (I use the lid to my 5 quart Dutch oven) and place in hot oven until heated. Carefully remove from oven and add batter to drippings. Spread to edges of pan. Top with shredded cheese. Rinse liquid from remaining green chili and sprinkle chili on top. Return to oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Check to make sure it doesn’t get too brown. It should be a golden brown with crispy edges. Test it with a toothpick to the center. If it comes out clean the bread is done.
- If you don’t have stoneground cornmeal use a cup of flour and a cup of regular cornmeal and a teaspoon baking powder.